Just having social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and more, doesn’t necessarily mean success. To reach users and increase awareness of your brand on the Internet, you need to be active and optimize your activities. For this, invest in Social Media Optimization. What is social media optimization and how to combine it with positioning to achieve sales success?
Social Media Optimization – What is it?
Social Media Optimization is an online marketing strategy aimed at extending the reach and brand awareness on the Internet through social media accounts. Thanks to platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Pinterest, you can encourage users to become your customers. However, to achieve the intended goals, it is not enough just to have a social media account. You also need to develop an effective brand presence strategy on social media. Thanks to Social Media Optimization you can:
– build long-term relationships with users and customers through social media,
– build visibility in the internal search engine in a given channel,
– promote products and services in social media channels,
– build an engaged user community,
– increase the brand’s reach,
– attract traffic to the website,
– increase conversions, sales and revenues,
– reduce the total cost of marketing activities,
– strengthen the effects of online store or website positioning.
Social Media Optimization and SEO in the search engine
Activities in the field of Social Media Optimization can be compared to positioning. In the case of SEO, your goal is to optimize your website in such a way as to reach as many target users as possible, present in the search engine. In Social Media Optimization (SMO), activities focus on better optimization of social media accounts in order to reach more users from the target group. What’s more, thanks to SMO, you can encourage users to link to your website, and the number of backlinks is one of the most important SEO ranking factors.
SMO and SEO should be combined with each other because they reach users in different channels on the Internet and can attract different users.
How to optimize social media profiles and build traffic?
To support positioning through SMO, you need to plan an appropriate optimization strategy. What elements should you take into account to build traffic and support sales on corporate social media accounts? Take advantage of our tips.
1. Build comprehensive company profiles in social media
Your corporate social media profiles should contain all relevant information. Therefore, do not give up filling them out just to create a corporate Facebook account in advance. Although creating a profile on Facebook or Instagram seems to be a fairly simple task, many business owners make mistakes that can affect the traffic generated by social channels. As part of profile optimization:
– complete the account with all relevant information, such as address, telephone number, opening hours, offered services and e-mail address,
– add photos, especially a profile photo and a background photo – this is the first element of the profile visible to the user, so it must catch the eye; it is worth placing your brand logo as the main photo to build the company’s image and positive associations from the very beginning;
– put a clickable link to your website on your account, so that the user can visit it from the profile on social media;
– ensure consistent communication on different social media accounts and on the corporate website – use a uniform account name, logo, hashtags, messages and advertising slogans.
You can put the most information about the company on Facebook. There are fewer possibilities on Instagram and Twitter, but try to make the most of the existing character limits to describe your offer. Treat social media as a gateway to your products and brand. Stay consistent and engage with uniform slogans and logos, and comprehensive and up-to-date information.
2. Optimize your social media profile for social search engine
In each of the social media channels you will find an internal search engine. It is worth using Social Media Optimization and optimizing the profile for terms searched by users of Facebook, Instagram and other channels. You can do this by performing traditional keyword analysis, such as with the Google Keyword Planner tool. To better optimize your profile for searches:
– put keywords in post content and hashtags,
– complete the content “About me” in each of the channels, including key phrases,
– make sure your contact options and contact details are consistent across all channels.
3. Develop a strategy for promoting content in social media
Want to build traffic from social media to your website? Use Social Media Optimization and develop a content promotion strategy. For this purpose:
– set a fixed frequency and time of publication – check when your users are on social media and publish during this time; also test the frequency of publications – is it better to publish a few posts a day or several a week?
– Identify the resources you need to fill the established posting schedule (working time, photos, content, infographics, videos, etc.).
– check if you can publish the same resources in different social media channels – if not, adapt the content to different channels (photo sizes, content, etc.) – you can use the Pablo by Buffer tool to create photos in the right size.
4. Optimize individual social media posts
Already have an overall content strategy for social media channels? As part of Social Media Optimization, it is also worth developing a strategy for optimizing individual posts. Consider their rank – some posts, such as those promoting interviews with influencers, will require more optimization than humorous memes. For the most important posts, take care of:
– adding keywords in the post description and hashtags,
– adding a call to action in the content of the post,
– Maintain a balance in the content of your posts between promotion and branding.
5. Optimize your links
Link optimization is one element of Social Media Optimization that many companies forget about. Wrong, because by optimizing your links, you can better verify the effectiveness of the content. What is worth doing for this purpose?
– add UTM attributes to shared links to track the number of clicks,
– check which links have the most clicks and define what CTA content and descriptions you use in the most-clickable posts,
– Consider whether you’re directing users to the right landing pages on your site (remember: direct users to different pages, not just the home page).
6. Create visual content
A wall of texts will kill the effectiveness of your social media posts faster than you think. If you want to catch the eye of users, focus on visual and interactive elements. For promotion in social media and Social Media Optimization, use:
– graphics and infographics with the company’s logo and colors,
– live broadcasts.
7. Add buttons to social media on your website
Social Media Optimization is not only about activities on social channels, but also on the website. Make sure your website has buttons – links to corporate channels on social media. It’s best to put them in the header or footer. On the blog, it is also worth adding buttons that allow you to generate a link to specific content and make it available directly on your profile by the user. Such a button makes sharing easier, which in turn increases the chance that users will actually share the content with their friends or followers. You can also add on the site:
– widgets that allow you to like or follow your profile along with information about the number of fans or followers,
– comment systems, such as Disquss, which allow users to post comments under a name implemented from a social media profile.
8. Recycle your content
Publishing valuable content for sharing on social media is a growing challenge. Not today, create stunning posts that attract thousands of users every day. However, you can use the content you created earlier and recycle the content. This is how you can transform:
– blog article in video review,
– blog content into an infographic and share it on social media,
– video interview on written content,
– an extensive article or series of articles on a given topic for an e-book or webinar.
Also, remember to re-share your old content on social media. This way you will remind fans who have been with you longer and present it to new audiences.
9. Integrate your social media accounts with other online marketing channels
The mere presence of your company in social media is not enough. Therefore, it is worth integrating various channels with your social media profiles. How can you do this? Add links to social accounts:
– on your website.
– in emails from team members, especially customer service,
– on the thank you page for contact.
10. Be active on social media
You can build the image of an expert not only through positioning and blog content. Use social channels for this purpose:
– participate in industry groups on Facebook and LinkedIn,
– share user reviews,
– comment on the posts of other people and companies from the industry and take part in substantive discussions,
– share blog content on social media with expert advice.
11. Analyze the results of Social Media Optimization
Activities focused on Social Media Optimization will not be effective if you do not use the analysis of the effects. You need to check on an ongoing basis whether the shared content is generating impressions, clicks (website traffic) and conversions. For this purpose:
– on the basis of the developed KPIs (key performance indicators), identify the most effective content,
– monitor mentions of your brand on the Internet, e.g. using the Brand24 tool,
– discover if the most engaging posts have any common features (e.g. subject matter),
– Track likes, comments, shares, retweets, number of followers month-on-month and year-on-year – these metrics will let you see if posts are getting more engagement.
Social Media Optimization is one of the effective ways to increase your brand awareness on the Internet. If you combine activities on social media with positioning, Google Ads or Facebook Ads, you will reach different recipients, improve the visibility of the page and increase website traffic and the number of conversions.