Do you want to build accurate positioning campaigns and Google Ads? First, you need to find out what Google users are looking for interested in your industry. You can use various tools for this. One of them is the free Google Keyword Planner tool. Thanks to it, you will discover trends in the search engine, find keywords that will generate traffic and conversions in the future. How to use Google Keyword Planner to optimize Google Ads advertising activities and positioning of websites and online stores?
What is Google Keyword Planner?
Google Keyword Planner is a free tool that will allow you to find keywords for your SEO campaign and Google Ads. Thanks to it, you will learn what your users are looking for and how, what topics they are interested in, and you will enrich your advertising campaign with keywords that will increase your visibility, traffic and conversion. What’s more, in the planner you will find information that no other tool provides.
How to get free access to the Keyword Planner
All you need to access Google Keyword Planner is a Google Ads account. If Google asks you to indicate your primary advertising target, do not reply, just go to the “Have Google Ads experience?” Tab, and then click the “Create an account without campaign” button. Google allows you to set up an account for free, without the need to enter your credit card details.
What can you use the Keyword Planner for?
The Google Keyword Planner is a great tool for both SEO specialists and marketers running Google Ads campaigns. With it you can:
– find new keywords for your SEO or Google Ads campaign,
– check changes in keyword searches over time (keyword seasonality),
– find out the ad rates for a given keyword in Google Ads,
– plan a Google Ads campaign budget for a given keyword or group of keywords.
Basic reports in the keyword planner
Google Keyword Planner comes with two basic reports. These are:
– Find a keyword – this report allows you to find keywords that are useful for your SEO strategy and Google Ads.
– Check the number of searches and forecasts – thanks to it you will know the average monthly number of searches for a given keyword, historical data on the phrase and forecasts of its popularity in the future.
These are not separate functions of the tool, but two different reports that comprehensively help you choose keywords in a website or store positioning strategy, as well as in Google Ads campaigns.
How do I use the “Find Keyword” report in Google Keyword Planner?
If you only have a few keywords and are looking for new keywords for your SEO or Google Ads advertising campaign, go to the Find Keywords report. After entering a phrase, industry, topic, or domain URL, you’ll get a list of related phrases. Each keyword contains:
– average monthly number of searches,
– keyword competitiveness data (low, medium, high),
– share in ad impressions,
– the minimum and maximum bid for the ad displayed at the top of the page.
In this way, you will enrich your advertising activities with keywords that your users enter in the search engine window, you will increase traffic and conversions.
How to use the Get Searches and Forecast report
Do you have a ready-made list of key phrases that you want to use in your campaign? Get to know the details about them. The “Get the number of searches and forecasts” report will help you with this, in which you will receive information about:
– the estimated number of clicks and ad impressions for a given keyword,
– estimated costs,
– estimated CTR,
– average CPC cost,
– the keyword’s average position in organic results.
How to use the keyword planner in positioning?
The intention of the creators of the Keyword Planner was to create a tool for planning Google Ads campaigns, but it can also be used to search for phrases in positioning. This tool is useful both at the beginning of activities and during the search for new ideas for content and the expansion of the phrase profile.
Step 1: How to search for keywords in the keyword planner
Go to the “Discover new keywords” tab. You can choose to search for phrases based on a website address or based on words, industry, topic, etc.
Step 2: Filter the results in the keyword planner
Enter the selected phrase or issue in the search engine window, for example the name of the product, industry, key phrase that seems related to your business. Then select a location and language. Also decide if you want to include brand names in your keywords. You can check up to 10 keywords (separated by commas) at the same time. However, we suggest that you focus on one keyword per search – you’ll get much more specific results.
It is worth entering the most general key phrases – thanks to this, you will get a large number of phrases with varying degrees of competitiveness, also with a long tail.
The second option is to search for key phrases based on a website address or a specific URL. This way, you can find phrases by checking which keywords your competitors use in their advertising campaigns.
Step 3: List of keywords for positioning
In response to the query, you will receive a list of various keywords along with information about their competitiveness (in Google Ads campaigns, but the information can also be used in positioning of companies). You can try to enter different key phrases to get as many suggestions as possible. In the keyword search process, start with broad terms and then refine your phrases. How?
– For an online store with dresses, the appropriate phrases to start with may be: dresses, evening dresses, dresses boutique.
– For SEO agencies, relevant phrases are, for example: SEO agency, website positioning, positioning of online stores. Then it is worth supplementing the phrases with the location (with the name of the city, province).
– For a children’s toy store, phrases entered in the Keyword Planner may be: toy store, children’s toys, children’s accessories store. It is also worth entering the names of individual product categories and products into the search engine.
Don’t worry if you get fewer keyword suggestions. They will probably be more specific, and this increases the chances of conversion, as these are phrases that respond to the users’ needs. This means that Google Keyword Planner is a great tool for searching long tail phrases, that is, more specific ones.
Step 4: Filter the results on Google Keyword Planner
To get the most out of Google Keyword Planner, filter your results. What filter metrics can you find in Google Ads?
– Language – especially useful when you run websites and campaigns in different languages.
– Location – the location filter will work for local positioning.
– Negative keywords – in the Keyword Planner you can indicate keywords that you do not want to rank for and that you do not want to include in the statement. This mainly applies to keywords that have different meanings and can be confusing to the user. If you run a shop selling adult dresses, exclude the phrases “children’s dresses”, “girls dresses”, “children’s dresses” or baby dresses.
– Search network – you can narrow the results according to the source of the data, for example, only to the Google search engine.
– Date – you can narrow the results to a specific time period only.
Google Keyword Planner – How To Search For High Traffic Keywords?
If you have invested in SEO, you certainly want to choose keywords that will generate a lot of traffic. How can you do this in Google’s Keyword Planner? Find keywords that have high monthly searches but little competition. This combination gives a high probability of acquiring a lot of organic traffic as fewer companies advertise on it. Although the data relates to paid advertising, it also applies to positioning, because with less competition, fewer websites contain content with a given keyword.
First generate a list of keywords from your industry, then download and open it in Excel. After downloading the list, filter the keywords and leave those with low and medium competition. Then filter out all keywords with less than 100 searches. Perhaps not all phrases will be useful for creating content, but this way you will certainly choose a few that can be used as inspiration for your blog content.
How to use the Google Keyword Planner to create content in SEO?
Google Keyword Planner also offers advanced features that help you find keywords to create content for your corporate blog.
User Questions – How Do I Find Them in Keyword Planner?
If you want to see what questions people are asking about your industry, you need to filter your keyword search results. Add a “keyword” filter and enter keywords such as who, what, where, why, when, how.
In a similar way, you can filter the keywords that your competitors rank for. Enter your competitors’ website address in the search engine, exclude brand phrases, download the list of phrases in the file and analyze for usefulness in your SEO activities.
How to find keywords in local SEO with Keyword Planner?
Do you do local SEO and want to omit keywords with a nationwide reach or keywords related to users in other parts of the country? You don’t need to enter a keyword with a location. Enter a general keyword and select the location in the top menu bar.
Google Keyword Planner – why is it useful in SEO?
There are many tools for finding keywords in positioning, but the Google Keyword Planner has a big advantage over it – it is free and available to anyone who sets up a Google Ads advertising account. It does not require choosing the form of settlement or linking a credit card. Thanks to it, you will create a list of keywords – both general and long tail ones, analyze the competition and find inspiration to create content to build the image of an expert.
How to use the Keyword Planner in Google Ads?
The Google Keyword Planner can also be used to find phrases in Google Ads advertising efforts. Keyword research looks a lot like planning your SEO strategy. All you need to do is enter a keyword, topic or industry in the search engine, and the tool will search for other keywords that are worth using in the campaign. Supplement them with data such as:
– average monthly number of views and clicks,
– average CPC cost,
– minimum and maximum bid per click.
What keywords should you look for in the Planner? It is important to narrow down the concepts as much as possible. If you run a toy store for little ones, don’t make campaigns for general phrases like “baby toys”. Create a summary of the specific products you want to advertise and choose matching phrases, such as full or abbreviated product names.
How to use Google Keyword Planner in Google Ads? Forecasting the effectiveness of the campaign
The Google Keyword Planner will allow you not only to find keywords for your Google Ads campaign, but also to pre-evaluate its forecasted effectiveness. If you already have selected phrases, you can enter them in the search engine or send them as a CSV file.
In the results, you will receive information about forecasted campaign indicators, including:
– estimated number of views and clicks within 30 days,
– forecast CTR,
– average monthly cost and recommended daily budget,
– average cost-per-click (CPC).
Filtering results in the keyword planner
If you are looking for keywords for your Google Ads campaigns, you may find the filtering option in the Keyword Planner useful to reduce your campaign costs. Thanks to it you will sort keywords by:
– average monthly number of searches – remember that the higher the average number of searches, the greater the popularity of the keyword and the higher the cost of the campaign; thanks to filtering the results, you can choose words with high popularity and low competitiveness, which are cheaper;
– average position in organic search results – for this filtering, it is necessary to link the Google Ads account with Google Analytics;
– share of impressions in organic search results – this indicator shows how many times your website was found in organic results for the keyword that the SEO campaign was targeted at (need to link Google Ads and Google Analytics accounts);
– suggested rate – by sorting the results according to the suggested rate, you will be able to limit your expenses on the campaign; for starters, choose the narrowest possible keywords where the rate per click is low; if necessary, you can always extend your campaigns with new, more expensive words.
How to use the keyword planner? Find out about effective tricks from our SEO and SEM specialists
Do you want to see which devices are the most searched for a given keyword and in what location? All you have to do is add a phrase to the plan and then go to it. For this purpose:
– Go to the Plan overview tab,
– Add keywords to the plan and return to it.
Google Keyword Planner – summary
If you are looking for a free tool to search for phrases in Google SEO and paid campaigns, Google Keyword Planner will meet your expectations. Thanks to it, you will find both general phrases and long-tail phrases, thanks to which you will increase your visibility, traffic and conversions from positioning. The selected keywords will also allow you to optimize an effective advertising campaign in Google Ads including advertising in search results, on the search network, product advertising or advertising on the YouTube platform.