Google ranking factors are one of the most bothering topics in the SEO industry. What works and what does not affect the visibility of the website at all? Nobody will give you an unambiguous answer, because the effectiveness of the same actions can completely differ from one party to another. The internet is teeming with tapeworm lists of ranking factors, but which ones are really important?
Based on our own experience and observation of the effects of our clients, we have compiled a list of factors that, in our opinion, play a special role in positioning, and they are worth focusing on, even though many of them have only recently been discussed. See what cannot be missing from your positioning strategy and what affects the position of the page on Google.
Technical optimization of the website – influence on the website ranking in Google
Technical optimization of the website is not enough to perfectly position the website, but on the other hand – without it other activities will be ineffective. The broad concept of technical optimization covers activities such as:
– website audit, detection and removal of errors affecting the page position,
– acceleration of page indexing, removal of errors affecting indexing,
– excluding selected subpages from indexing,
– removing and preventing duplication of the page,
– work on speeding up the website,
– implementation of the crumb menu,
– internal linking management,
– micro data implementation,
– and many other activities.
As you can see many of these actions are either removing or preventing various errors on the page. For example, the issue of duplicate content can seriously affect the visibility of the page and make it difficult to earn high positions. So no matter what actions you take, without the technical stage of SEO, they will be ineffective.
And what aspects should you pay special attention to in technical matters?
– Implementation of the SSL certificate – first of all, it is an action aimed at increasing the security of users. Thanks to the certificate, we prevent the interception of information sent between you and the website by third parties. However, this aspect was included in our ranking as a ranking factor, as a page without https is displayed as unsafe. This significantly affects the trust of users. They don’t have to be experts on the subject – if they see a clear message, they’ll think a few times before using the site. Google experts emphasize that this is not a decisive ranking factor, but considering the presence of https, they want to motivate website owners to use security. Especially since you can successfully use free SSL certificates, such as Let’s Encrypt.
– Page speed – in recent years, Google algorithms take into account page speed, also in the context of mobile. After analyzing your website in any tool, we can get tips on how to increase speed. However, this is not such an important ranking factor, and slight changes in speed paid off. If speed optimization is to be of great importance to SEO, it usually means a big speed improvement, e.g. by changing the server. This ranking factor is a tribute to users of mobile devices, who are exposed to even slower page loading, e.g. as a result of low internet coverage or an outdated device. Therefore, the website should not, for technical reasons, make their lives more difficult.
– Adaptation to mobile devices – we have been anxiously waiting for the update of the mobile-first algorithm for many years. It was supposed to be revolutionary and contribute to the reshuffling of search results. That didn’t happen, but it’s worth adding that many website owners have had time to take care of the user experience on mobile devices. Is your website adapted to mobile? Check it out on the Google testing page: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly
How does the content of the website affect the position in Google?
Content is important in SEO in many ways. First, the content of the phrases is an important ranking factor, but you cannot create texts with phrases at the expense of their value for the user. So what specific ranking factors can we distinguish in the area of content?
Saturation with phrases – beginners have special difficulties with this. Either they are afraid of phrases and avoid using them, or on the contrary – they put phrases in almost every sentence. In the case of determining the number of phrases, competition is a good point of reference. If you are not sure that your texts are properly saturated, use the Surfer tool, for example, which shows how you compare with the competition. It will also tell you which phrases are too many and which are worth adding.
Volume – as with saturation, there is no rule here. However, it is worth assuming that the offer texts and category descriptions should consist of at least 1500 characters. On the other hand, blog texts can be much longer and reach up to 10,000 characters. The Google algorithm recognizes the content better and better, therefore SEO experts recognize that texts such as product descriptions in the store do not have to be artificially expanded and are by definition the shortest form.
Thematic consistency – in the past, in order for Google to understand what the page is about, it was necessary to add keywords in the page code. Today he recognizes the subject matter by what words we used. Thanks to this, the website can be assigned to a specific thematic category. The problem arises when there is soap and jam on our site. This situation makes positioning much more difficult and makes the website less valuable for Google. It is worth ensuring that the articles on the company blog are written only on specific topics, and thanks to this, we will emphasize the thematic consistency of the entire website.
Updating the content – one of the factors is the freshness of the content (freshness), but it is important only when we have content with a specified expiry date; freshness does not play a role for many businesses, but you can use this factor to promote your articles on the blog. With large reports, lists that do not become outdated, you can update the title every year, eg “The most important SEO tools 2020” will certainly not go through a big revolution and can successfully turn into “The most important SEO tools 2021”.
Comprehensive and substantive content – Comprehensive content may be short. This point is about providing the user with full knowledge of the searched topic. If you’re looking for vacation ideas, a blog should be the answer. If he is looking for a good suitcase on wheels that will be used as hand luggage – he should receive a page with a specific product that matches the description. In order for Google to select content for the user in this way, it is necessary to use phrases typical of each form of content. It is necessary to analyze the competition or use tools for this purpose.
Content that meets the needs of recipients – in the context of positioning, it is worth creating content that is already searched by users. Creating an original, unique text requires completely different forms of promotion than SEO. If we are talking about reaching the audience on Google, we have to write about what they are looking for, what they want to know and what they need. This approach is often mentioned recently as an important element of SEO because it is inextricably linked with SEO effects. It is thanks to the content that meets the user’s expectations that we can count on conversions.
Inbound links as an important Google ranking factor
Inbound link profile is one of the most important SEO pillars. It is not enough to have some links from several pages. When building a profile of incoming links, aspects such as:
– number of links – a few links acquired a few years ago are not enough, the largest websites have tens of thousands of links each; the profile of incoming links should be characterized by a constant increase,
– pace of acquisition – a large number of links obtained in one day is also not good for positioning; building a link profile should be carried out constantly, regularly, so that it looks natural in the assessment of Google robots,
– quality of source pages – link unequal to link, otherwise Google will look at a link from the noname catalog, and differently at a link contained in a popular article in a prestigious online magazine; it is worth making sure that among all obtained links there are also those from well-positioned, reputable websites with high Google authority,
– variety of links – it is worth ensuring that links come from different sources: websites, forums, blogs, portals, directories,
– linking method – linking phrases for which we want to position ourselves is a practice that we have already departed from, there are many indications that it is associated with a high risk for website visibility; The best form of linking is linking the company name or the entire website address.
In the SEO world, there are often discussions about whether effective positioning is more due to content or links. As long as we compete with websites that have neither links nor content, there is a chance that we will achieve something selectively. However, in the event that the competition works intensively in the field of positioning, links cannot be neglected.
What influences the position of the page on Google?
We chose 3 main areas of positioning and factors related to them that influence the effectiveness of positioning. Some of these factors have been relevant for years, and some are news that many have questioned. However, we chose such activities and factors that not only support positioning, but also bring benefits and comfort to users. If you doubt their effectiveness for SEO, you should implement them with your clients in mind.