Links leading to the website are one of the most important factors influencing the website positioning results. That is why it is so important to constantly expand your link profile and ensure their high quality. Even before you start linking activities, you should know how to analyze links leading to the page to avoid errors and ensure yourself high positions in the search engine and better SEO results. How to check links on the website, for what purpose and what tools to use?
What are inbound links and what is their impact on SEO?
Inbound links are links on other websites that, when clicked by the user, take them to your website. We can distinguish links with attributes:
– nofollow, which theoretically have no influence on the effects of positioning and do not transfer the strength of the linking domain,
– dofollow, which convey the power of the linked domain from the linking domain.
In practice, the dofollow attribute does not exist – each link that is not marked as nofollow in the website code is a link that transfers its power. Nevertheless, such a term is often found among SEO specialists.
Analysis of links leading to the website – where to start?
Link profile analysis, i.e. links leading to your website, is based on understanding what constitutes a valuable link. Among the important elements you should analyze are:
– relevance – it is best if the link leading to your website is placed on the website in the right context, and the subject of the article and website is related to your business, your assortment or the subject of your blog,
– link placement – the location of the link leading to your website also affects its quality – referring links can be placed in the main content, in the side panel, in the footer or in content boxes;
– quality and authority of the domain – when analyzing the link profile, also pay attention to the quality of the website – are there contact details on the website? What is the age of the domain? Where do links pointing to the domain come from? What is the estimated traffic generated by the website and is it high in the search engine? All these elements can influence the quality of the link to your website. Don’t forget that the link should be placed naturally – combining these elements gives the best results in link building.
How to analyze inbound links in SEO? Find out about the most important parameters
The analysis of incoming links to the site – yours or competitors – should be carried out by checking specific indicators. These are:
– link quality – depending on the tool you use, this indicator may have different names, but each of them works in a similar way – it evaluates the link leading to your website, taking into account the authority of the domain and its popularity; usually this indicator ranges from 0 to 100 – the higher it is, the greater the value of a given link for your website;
– the number of links leading to the website – in specialized tools that analyze the profile of incoming links, you can also check the number of links leading to your website; you can also verify the number of links with your direct competitors – then you will find out what number of links is optimal for your industry and you will be able to obtain new links from valuable domains;
– the rate of link growth – this is a very important parameter if you use the services of an SEO agency; thanks to it you can check whether a given internet marketing agency obtains links gradually; if the link growth is very large in a short period of time, the links are likely to be purchased or come from spammer sources and may harm you more than help;
– subpages to which links refer most often – in the tools that analyze incoming links, you can check which subpages are most often linked to by other domains; this is especially important in the case of competitors – the addresses to which they link most often are the most important for them;
– linking domains – you can also verify which domains link to your website or competitors’ websites the most;
– anchor texts – anchors of referring links should be diverse – it is best to use an anchor in the form of company names or part of an address, for example visni.com, or in the form of a key phrase, e.g. SEO agency or a guide phrase (often found in blogs).
Why is the link profile analysis in positioning important?
Building a link profile is one of the most important elements of a positioning strategy. A study conducted on 2 million key phrases showed that links have a much greater impact on positioning effects than single technical actions on the page, such as optimizing meta tags or using key phrases.
Why is it worth checking links leading to the page and for what purpose? Because with link analysis, you can:
– compare yourself with the competition and find out where you can get links and whether the number of links leading to our website is optimal or should be greater,
– get inspiration for your own link building activities,
– monitor the effects of cooperation with an external company that we commission to create a link profile,
– collect all links to your website in one place and check their quality, as well as eliminate possible harmful links,
– find partners for cooperation in the field of link exchange,
– check which anchors bring the best positioning results.
Moreover, a valuable link profile tells Google crawlers that your site:
– arouses interest among users,
– is visible on the Internet,
– it is credible and other creators refer to it.
To be sure that the links to your website strengthen the SEO effects, it is necessary, however, to analyze the link profile with the use of specialized tools presenting key indicators for linking in positioning.
How to check links to a website? Ahrefs tool to analyze your website’s link profile
One of the most recommended tools that enables comprehensive analysis of pages in terms of link profile is the Ahrefs tool. In the Site Explorer tab, after entering the address of the selected website, you will find extensive information on the link building strategy.
How to check links pointing to a page in Ahrefs? The tool presents several important indicators, including:
– AR – Ahrefs Rank – an indicator that ranks all pages based on the number and quality of links (primarily DR) – the more high-quality backlinks a page has, the higher the DR and AR index are;
– UR – URL Rating – shows the strength of the link profile of a given URL in a 100-point scale,
– DR – shows the strength of the link profile of the entire domain in a 100-point scale compared to competitors’ websites. This means that you may not lose links and your DR will drop because your competitors have acquired new valuable links. Moreover, DR analyzes not only the number, but also the quality of links, so having fewer links of better quality, you may be higher than the competition that has more links but of lower quality.
The 100-point scale is a logarithmic scale, which means it is much easier to improve your score from 20 to 30 than from 70 to 80. You should also know that indicators include both internal and external links, as well as dofollow and nofollow links. You can export and download all data to your computer as a CSV or PDF file, as well as an Excel or LibreOffice file.
Ahrefs backlink analysis – new, lost and broken links
How to check the links obtained in a given time in Ahrefs? Use the “Backlinks” tab. In the main tab, you can check all the links leading to your website and filter the results according to various criteria (e.g. link type – dofollow, nofollow, platform from which the link comes, etc.). What data can you obtain in the Ahrefs tool that will help you analyze the link profile of the website? Primarily:
– exact URL of the referrer,
– DR and UR indicators for the referring party,
– the number of domains that refer to the page from which the link to your website comes, the number of keywords to which the referring domain in the top100 search results according to Ahrefs data,
– estimated monthly traffic of the referring domain,
– the anchor used with the surrounding text and the address of the subpage to which the link is directed.
Thanks to the data from the Ahrefs tool, you can not only analyze the links referring to your website, but also check what linking profile your competition is building. Where do I get backlinks? What anchors does he use? What subpages does he consider the most important? The analysis of the link profile of the competition will allow you to develop your own activities – data from the Ahrefs tool can inspire you to search for places to link to your website and find thematically related portals willing to cooperate.
In the report, you will also find backlinks:
– new links referring to your website,
– lost referring links,
– broken link links.
You can group each of the tabs according to various criteria, as well as according to time, and analyze the increase in links in a specific period. This way you can check if the link growth is natural. This is especially important when link building activities are carried out by an external company and you want to have control over the development of the link profile in your SEO strategy. How to check links broken or lost in Ahrefs? Just click on the appropriate links to get the data you need. In the case of lost links, they may have been removed. It also happens that the referring page no longer exists or has been redirected. Ahrefs will inform you about the reason for the link loss, and you will be able to contact the owner of the website to restore the link. In the same way, you can check the referring domains – which domains linked to your site at a certain time? Which domains removed the link or redirected or deleted the given subpage?
How to check links in Ahrefs? Pages report
In the Pages report, you can see which subpages have the most inbound links. This is a particularly useful section when analyzing the link profile of the competition – you will find out which subpages the competition is intensively working on – you can assume that linking leads to the most important subpages. If you want to find out what is the rate of link growth for a specific subpage, select the tab “Best by link growth”. You will receive a list of subpages that gained the most links in the allotted time – 1, 7 and 30 days.
How do I check the links pointing to the page? Majestic SEO Tool
Majestic, like Ahrefs, is primarily designed to analyze the link profile of websites. There are two indicators that will allow us to evaluate the quality of links leading to the website. These are:
– Trust Flow – this indicator evaluates the quality of the domain from which the link comes,
– Citation Flow – the indicator evaluates the link quality based on the number of backlinks that lead to it.
In practice, the Trust Flow and Citation Flow numbers should be similar. Too high Citation Flow may indicate a large number of spammy links, and a low Trust Flow number with a small number of links, but of high quality. What links can increase Citation Flow? Among others:
– websites with incoherent topics,
– low-quality catalogs that are not divided into thematic categories,
– advertising portals that are not updated, are not updated on a regular basis, do not have a category tree.
How to check competitors’ links in Majestic SEO? You will find the necessary data in the Site Explorer tab. You can compare your link profile with up to 5 competitors. You will learn where your competitors get their links. Then think about whether you can get similar or even better links? Or is it your strategy that allows you to outperform your competition? Also remember to verify that the pages that link to your domain are thematically consistent and at least to some extent related to the subject of your business. An SEO agency can obtain links from, for example, websites about running your own business or ways to effectively advertise your business.
Linking analysis in the Majestic SEO tool allows you to obtain information about:
– historical links obtained by the site,
– types of links (nofollow, dofollow, text, image, redirect links),
– link types due to the anchor text,
– link placement and density – what other links (apart from those leading to your website) are on a given subpage and where do they go?
– Topical Trust Flow indicator, i.e. the degree of linkage to the most trusted websites,
– the number of backlinks leading to the domain that links to your site.
The Majestic tool allows you to export data in the form of a PDF report containing data on the construction of a link profile for the entire site, as well as for a subdomain or individual subpages and URLs. If you received access to the tool from an SEO agency you work with, you can follow the data on an ongoing basis to verify that specialists use fair methods. Regular link profile analysis is the basis for the success of your SEO strategy and achieving higher and higher positions in the search engine, building traffic and conversion. Thanks to Majestic SEO, you can monitor the quality and quantity of obtained links, as well as follow the activities of competitors and search for new sources of linking and building the authority of your website.
How to check and analyze links in Surfer SEO?
SurferSEO is a tool for comprehensive analysis of websites and online stores in terms of keywords, content and link profile. The developers are constantly improving the tools and implementing new features. One of them is the link profile analysis. All you have to do is enter the domain address in the search engine window, and in response you will receive a series of data on building the link profile of a given page. These are:
– number of referring domains,
– number of referring URLs,
– a list of referring domains along with information about: estimated traffic for the referring domain and the number of key phrases for which the referring domain is visible,
– anchor list with a percentage breakdown on a pie chart.
While the Surfer data is less detailed than Ahrefs and Majestic SEO, the link analysis in Surfer SEO can be a useful guide for professionals who use the authoring tool.
Analyze the construction of the link profile and take care of the effects of the positioning campaign
You already know how to analyze the link profile on the website. Thanks to the obtained data:
– you will check the quality and number of links leading to your website,
– you will notice broken and inactive links,
– you will take care of the natural increase in links on the website,
– you will be able to control the work of SEO agencies and positioners,
– you will obtain information about the linking strategy used by the competition,
– you will be able to measure the effectiveness of activities and introduce possible changes in the strategy,
– you will get satisfactory positioning results – links are one of the most important Google ranking factors, which we wrote about in the article “The most important Google ranking factors”.
To be able to check the links leading to your website without tedious, independent analysis, it is worth using professional tools that will present a full picture of your domain’s link profile and allow you to get better SEO strategy results and higher search engine positions.