One of the important functions of online store descriptions is to build your online store’s position in organic (organic) search results. To generate traffic from the search engine, you should create descriptions of products and product categories in accordance with SEO principles. This technique is slightly different from creating sales texts. What is it and how to implement it in your store?
SEO-oriented in-store descriptions – why do you need to do this?
Creating product descriptions and product category descriptions in an online store is not only to encourage the user to buy, but also to build traffic and support website positioning. Thanks to the descriptions in the online store, containing relevant phrases, users will find your website after entering the term in the search engine.
How to create descriptions in an online store in terms of SEO so that they are friendly to users and search engine algorithms? Discover 9 effective tricks!
# 1 Do you create descriptions in an online store? Use a variety of key phrases tailored to the product.
Descriptions in the online store, which are to support positioning, should contain phrases important from the point of view of SEO, i.e. those that users enter in the search engine window. Thanks to the presence of phrases, Google will probably consider your site valuable, display it in the results, and the user will be able to find it. You can use the Keyword Planner, Keywordtool, KWFinder tools to find phrases, which show:
– average monthly number of searches for a given phrase,
– the potential of the phrase in terms of SEO and the degree of difficulty of its positioning,
– related keywords, e.g. long tail phrases.
In the context of key phrases in product descriptions and category descriptions, it is also worth remembering:
– appropriate concentration of key phrases – you cannot allow the content to be saturated with phrases, because for such actions Google may impose a penalty (filter) on the page and lower its position in search results,
– the use of long tail phrases that contain a few words and define the user’s expectations in a very detailed way, e.g. “plus size black evening dress” instead of “evening dress”,
– using additional phrases and words, e.g. cheap, good, price, etc.,
– using phrases in URLs, headers and descriptions of alternative images.
No searches for a phrase that matches a product or category? Don’t give up on her! In niche industries, it may happen that the phrase is not popular, but if you are sure it fits your product, you can use it. If you want your descriptions in the online store to be properly optimized, use the agency’s support.
# 2 Create unique descriptions of products and product categories in your online store.
Do you have many similar products in your store? Do not copy their descriptions! Each product and product category should have unique and original content. It is not an easy task, but it certainly pays off. Why? Because copying content from producers or competitors’ websites means that the search engine’s algorithms do not know which page to display, and this may result in lowering your position in the search results. Unique descriptions will also help you stand out from the competition and arouse the interest of users. Remember that you create descriptions for SEO not only for robots, but above all for real customers, so they should be correct both grammatically and spelling.
Descriptions of products and product categories in the online store are one of the elements thanks to which you can increase sales.
# 3 Analyze the descriptions in your competitors’ online stores.
Want to learn how to create effective in-store SEO descriptions? Explore content on competitors’ sites. Enter a phrase in the search engine that describes your product, product category or store, and then analyze the content on the pages from the top10 search results. On this basis, you will assess:
– how long your descriptions in the store should be,
– what information you can include in the content,
– what keywords the competition uses,
– how content in competitive stores is built.
By analyzing the descriptions of competing stores, you will be able to easily improve your content. You can also use professional tools to carry out it, but they are paid and require the ability to use them. Before you decide to create descriptions, you should check how and what your competitors are writing about.
# 4 Use a user-friendly description structure in your online store.
Remember that you create descriptions in your online store not only for SEO, but also for users. For descriptions of products and product categories, the best is a short form that allows you to include specific information relevant to the customer. Moreover, on websites, users scan text instead of reading it. Research confirms that, at the beginning of the text, the reader’s eyesight traverses horizontally, then shifts lower and also shifts horizontally, but in a smaller area. At the very end, users scan the text vertically from the left – the eye system creates an F-shaped or inverted L-shaped heat map.
– bullet points and bolts that attract users’ attention and show robots important fragments,
– headings – in the case of short texts only H1 headings, in longer texts also H2,
– division into paragraphs that facilitate the reception of content.
In an online store, it is important not only to build descriptions, but also User Experience.
# 5 Complete your online store descriptions with photos and interactive materials!
SEO-oriented product and category descriptions in your online store are important, but it is worth supplementing them with attractive photos that will allow the customer to see the product without seeing it live. In the case of product photos, take care of:
– White background,
– high quality of photos,
– the right context – the best photos of products that show their actual use, e.g. furniture in the room, clothes on models and models,
– 360-degree photos presenting the product from every perspective,
– alternative description of the photo containing the key phrase.
You can also enrich product descriptions with videos presenting its capabilities or containing reviews.
Remember that descriptions in the online store are not everything.
# 6 Create online store descriptions with SEO and users in mind – be mindful of the buyer benefits.
Product specification is not everything – when creating descriptions in an online store that support SEO, you should also focus on the benefits that the customer will receive by purchasing the selected product. Before you start creating descriptions for positioning, think about who your target audience is, what problems they are struggling with and how your product can help them (User Intent). See examples of interesting product descriptions:
– “Are you fed up with wasting time constantly cleaning your apartment? [PROBLEM] Choose our cleaning robot [SOLUTION], thanks to which, instead of cleaning, you will be able to find some time for yourself. [ADVANTAGE]”;
– “Get a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning [BENEFIT] and buy a windscreen de-icer [SOLUTION] that will make you forget about the annoying scraping of windows once and for all. [PROBLEM].
# 7 Creating descriptions in the online store – use effective sales messages that support SEO.
To support positioning, you can create not only product descriptions, but also implement elements on the website that have a chance to improve the conversion rate and thus affect positioning. What messages are we talking about? Among other things, about:
– calls to action placed on visible buttons – they may contain slogans such as “Buy now!”, “Add to cart”, “Take advantage of free delivery”,
– sales slogans that support conversions, e.g. “Buy and pick up in the store in an hour”,
– slogans informing about discounts and promotions, eg “Free delivery only for 24 hours”, “Take advantage of the sale – limited number of products”.
# 8 Use content from users to create descriptions for your online store. Acquire product reviews and customer feedback.
Did you know that product reviews are one of the factors that influences a customer’s purchasing decision? According to our report, as many as 48% of customers pay attention to opinions about a given store before making a purchase. Therefore, actively encourage buyers to share product reviews and opinions about them. Thanks to this, you will gain the so-called User Generated Content, which is user-generated content that is also relevant to SEO and can affect your search engine rankings as well as the number of conversions.
# 9 Creating descriptions in an online store – take care of an attractive appearance and smooth operation of your product page.
Users and your potential customers pay attention not only to the content on the website, but also to its operation. Therefore, when optimizing your store for SEO, take care of:
– product page loading speed,
– the appearance of the product card on stationary and mobile devices, implementing a responsive website or a mobile version of the website,
– elimination of bothersome ads (e.g. pop-up windows),
– website display stability – avoid situations in which the customer wants to add a product to the cart, but the click causes the user to go to the advertisement due to the change of the website appearance.
Also remember that the user is used to placing some items in the online store. Access to the basket of products and the registration panel are usually located in the upper right corner of the browser, and the option to add a product to the basket on the right side of the product card, in its upper part. It is not worth placing these items elsewhere as this may discourage the user from purchasing.
Create descriptions in the online store for SEO and users!
Descriptions of products and product categories in an online store have many functions, and SEO support is just one of them. Therefore, when creating descriptions of categories and products, remember not only about the phrases, but also about the expectations of the user and about the problems that your products can solve. The purpose of content creation is also to build an expert image as well as increase the number of conversions and products sold. Use comprehensive activities aimed at both users’ expectations and search engine algorithms that will help you improve the positioning results and increase profits.