Just having a website is not enough. You can have a great offer and even better website design, but without positioning, users won’t find it on the internet. One of the elements of an SEO strategy is home page optimization. Is the home page really that important in SEO and how to optimize it to attract traffic from the search engine? Let’s check.
Home page in SEO – is it really important?
The home page is not always the most important. In the online store, the subpages of specific products will be more important, because they are at the last stage of interaction with the user and affect the level of conversion. On the company’s website, offer subpages may also be important. However, it is often from the home page that we start browsing the entire website – that’s why it’s worth optimizing. The home page also includes users who do not know what they want yet, and our role is to use the home page to capture their attention and engage them. This makes the home page play an important role in acquiring the user and transforming him into a real customer.
A good home page, which is what?
We have a home page for paraphrasing text, we also have pages in Spanish and German (all these paraphrasing tools have been created with professionals in mind). In addition, we also provide pages with artificial intelligence to paraphrase a text in English and to paraphrase a text in Spanish.
What does “good home page” mean in terms of positioning and sales? This is a site that:
– answers users’ questions and contains information of interest to them,
– it is transparent and makes it easy to find the content you need,
– Includes a call to action informing the user what next steps to take.
Thus, the following are responsible for the high value of the home page in terms of SEO, sales and conversion optimization:
– site design that ensures easy use and information retrieval,
– content on the website that should “speak the client’s language”, convey useful information in a clear and understandable way, as well as contain keywords,
– clearly visible CTAs.
How long should your home page be? There are no specific tips – a home page is good as long as it exhaustively describes your offer and answers users’ questions and needs.
Why is it worth optimizing the home page?
A well-optimized home page brings great value for positioning. Why is it worth adjusting it to SEO requirements? Because:
– is often the first page that users visit,
– users can visit it while browsing other subpages (e.g. blog),
– can appear on competing keywords in the Google search engine.
How to optimize your home page for SEO? Practical tips
We present a set of practical tips that will help you optimize your home page in terms of the expectations of Google robots and users.
1. Comprehensively present your offer
The home page is a space where you should comprehensively describe your services. Include information about this in your content:
– What do you offer,
– why is it worth using your services or products,
– how the cooperation works, the process of order fulfillment or service performance,
– what distinguishes your offer from others similar on the market,
– what are your experiences, successes, brand history.
2. Optimize your home page for local keywords
Do you run nationwide services? Nevertheless, it is worth optimizing your home page for local keywords related to your offer and seat, instead of choosing general phrases that are highly competitive. If you optimize your home page for local, less competitive words, you’ll get valuable traffic and you’ll see the results faster. You can start positioning for more general words at a later date. Example? Instead of working on the phrase “SEO”, choose the keyword “Jakarta site positioning”. You can create separate subpages on your website for other cities.
3. Use branded keywords
For SEO activities promoting the home page, it is also worth using brand keywords, i.e. phrases related to your brand. They complement wide and local positioning, and also perfectly harmonize with the main page, the purpose of which is to present your company and offer. They also allow you to reach users who have contact with your brand outside of your website, e.g. in social media. Your brand name appears on the home page naturally, which makes things much easier. However, remember that brand SEO should only complement positioning, not its basis.
4. Optimize meta title, description and H1 header
Do you want to make it easier for Google robots to read your home page content and improve your position in organic search results? Optimize the items below:
– title, i.e. the SEO title of the page, which is one of the main ranking factors in positioning,
– description, i.e. the description of the page visible in the search results, which is to encourage users to click on the link,
– H1 header, visible on the website for users and in the website code.
This way you will inform Google robots about the content of your website. Include your main keyword in each of these elements (focus on the main service, product or phrase that describes your business), such as an online toy store, toys for children or a delivery pizza in Poznań. You should also add your company name in title.
5. Take care of implementing structured data for the home page
Structured data is the elements of a page’s code that can be displayed by Google crawlers in organic search results and improve CTR. In the context of the positioning of the home page, it is worth adding to it data marked as:
– a local company (provided that you have a physical seat),
– a person (if you run a website that is to take care of your personal image as an expert in a given industry, e.g. a graphic designer or an IT specialist).
6. Add your content
Some companies choose to only display images on the home page. In the context of positioning, this is a mistake, because the strength of SEO is content (Content is King). It is the content that contains key phrases and information useful to users. Therefore, add as much substantive content as possible on your home page, which includes:
– key phrases describing your offer (including local and brand phrases),
– useful and interesting information for users.
A good example is the main page of a visible agency – it contains a lot of content, comprehensively describes the agency itself and the services provided. Even if the user does not read the content thoroughly, he or she will likely spend more time on the page and focus on the fragments of interest.
Tip: Put the most important information at the top of the page – then you can be sure that the user will find it. Before you start creating content for your home page, create a persona for your potential customer – it will be easier for you to speak the right language to him and meet his expectations.
7. Optimize your images for SEO
Do you want to drive traffic to your website from Google Graphics? Optimize not only your content but also images for SEO. Complete them with an alternative description in which you will put key phrases. This way, you will make it easier for Google crawlers to read the content of the images and display them in the graphical search results.
8. Consider promoting feedback and testimonials
Opinions are a ranking factor in local SEO, but it is worth highlighting them on every homepage. In this way, you build the recipient’s trust and build the image of an expert. Check how to get opinions. Then create a slider where you can place, for example:
– the names of the companies you work with,
– customer feedback quotes,
– case study describing cooperation with clients.
Also show off your achievements. You appeared at an industry conference? Have you written an article for an industry magazine? Add this information on your home page – it builds your credibility and can increase your sales.
9. Choose a simple home page design
Simple and elegant design – this is best for the home page and the entire site. Create a website design that takes into account the needs of users:
– choose a readable font in the right size,
– put the buttons at appropriate intervals,
– remember about the spacing on the page,
– create a responsive design, adapted to mobile devices,
– take care of an intuitive menu with links to offer subpages or the most important product categories.
10. Take care of user experience
User Experience is the feeling of a user that triggers the viewing of a specific page. To make the ones on the home page as good as possible, you should:
– improve the speed of operation and loading time of the website,
– avoid text blocks,
– avoid an excessive amount of ads (including pop-ups),
– take care of the readability of the content – use bolts, bullets, spaces, subtitles, graphics and infographics,
– use consistent and specific product category names to inform the user what they include.
The home page should not only focus on you or your company – follow the user’s expectations and create content tailored to the target group.
11. Remember about safety
Why is security important in the context of SEO? Because no one wants to use a site that exposes the user to loss of data or funds in the account. The drop in traffic caused by the lack of an SSL certificate can, in turn, cause a drop in your organic rankings. To guarantee a secure connection, invest in an SSL certificate that secures customer data sent between the device and the server (e.g. bank login details).
12. Check the website’s adaptation to mobile devices
Currently, Google treats the mobile website as a priority and indexes it and takes it into account when determining its position in Google. Therefore, the home page (and any other) should be adapted to work on smartphones and tablets. The best solution is to create a responsive website. If you already have a desktop version of your website, you can choose to invest in a separate mobile version. Adaptation to mobile devices can be checked in the Mobile Friendly Test tool.
13. Add CTA (Call to Action)
A call to action is a return to the user, embedded in content or in the form of a button, that prompts them to take a specific action. It’s a good idea to put them on the home page to show the user what step they can take. Add CTAs tailored to your business type on the home page:
– In the online store, it may be the phrase “Get to know our offer” with a link to the main category.
– On the corporate website, it may be a request to contact us by phone or fill in a form.
– On a blog page, this may be a request to subscribe to the newsletter.
14. Place contact details and buttons for Social Media channels on the website
Google robots reward companies that are credible. One of the elements of credibility is the placement of consistent contact details on the home page (as well as on other subpages and on the Internet in general), such as:
– company name,
– company address,
– contact telephone number and e-mail address.
15. Add links to your main sales pages
The home page is a great way to direct the user to the main sales pages. For this purpose, use internal linking and place links to:
– offer subpages on the service website,
– main product categories in the online store (e.g. recently viewed products, bestsellers, recently purchased products),
– the most important blog entries.
In this way, you will show the robots which pages are important to you, and you will also make it easier for users to browse the page and perform conversions.
The home page should attract attention – only in this way will it allow you to achieve your planned sales goals and gain recognition from Google robots. You can achieve the assumed effects, among others by:
– editing the page code (title, description, H1 header),
– adding opinions, references, achievements,
– placing links to the most important subpages (offer, product),
– adapting the website to User Experience requirements,
– simple and consistent website design.
If you follow our tips, you’ll get a home page that not only grabs your attention, but also encourages you to continue browsing the rest of the site.